By: Alexander T. Kay
Small businesses are essential to the vitality of our local economy and community. It is important that we support the small businesses in our community during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
COVID-19 continues to spread globally even with individuals, businesses, and governments undertaking reasonable precautions. The magnitude of COVID-19’s impact on the economy is significantly more severe than recent global health events, such as SARS, H1N1, and Zika Virus. The consequences of COVID-19 will have a dramatic impact on the hospitality industry, especially locally owned businesses.
Restaurants, bars, hotels, locally owned stores, and other small businesses will be among those that will suffer the financial consequences of the COVID-19 outbreak. People are self-quarantining and limiting their exposure to public gatherings, which will reduce the purchases of goods and services of local businesses. The cancellation of nearly all sporting events, concerts, conferences, and public or private gatherings will significantly reduce the number of people that frequent businesses in the hospitality industry.
We believe it is important to support local businesses during the COVID-19 outbreak. Below is a list of ways you can continue to support businesses in your community during the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Buy gift cards
- Order take-out from restaurants
- Find a way to interact with the business while limiting exposure to large public gatherings (e.g., personal fitness sessions or individual music lessons)
- Commit to being a future customer (e.g., schedule the office holiday party now at a restaurant or bar)
- Provide a service to a local business in need
- Shop at locally owned businesses
- Eat at locally owned businesses
- Keep your membership even if your attendance will decrease (e.g., keep the membership to your gym or fitness class)
- Promote a local business through social media
- Be understanding that small businesses may be struggling financially
- Become informed about local businesses
- Reach out to a local business, and ask how you can help
It is important to support small businesses because they are a critical component to the success of the community. Spending your money in the community helps stimulate the local economy. Strong local businesses help create and maintain jobs. Local businesses are also more likely to re-invest in the community.
COVID-19 will impact restaurants, bars, hotels, locally owned stores, and other small businesses. It is crucial that we support the small businesses in our community during the COVID-19 outbreak.
If you have questions regarding this article, please reach out to your Davis|Kuelthau, s.c. attorney, the author linked above, or the related practice group chair here.
We will continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 and provide guidance to businesses via our Coronavirus Legal and Business Resource hub.